Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Working with time

Now don't get me wrong. Things have been, and continue to be much more relaxed in Norway as far as time and planning are concerned. Our class schedule is basically the only structured 10, or so, hours we have each week. However, maybe it is the death-march of insanely long papers and their due dates fast approaching, the planned activities for the rest of the weekends, or the random 'hey guys, only six weeks left,' but time feels like it is flying.

It's odd. Because it seems like ages since I have seen loved ones at home. So long in fact, that it is hard to put that distance of time and space into perspective. Yet, the program and time in Norway is passing so quickly, I know that I will be home before I know it. As such, rather than letting those kind of thoughts consume my in-the-moment experience here, I need to take better control of the time I have here and challenge myself.

I have completed more than half of my semester abroad and I am finally starting to realize that every element of this term is what I make of it. There is very little guidance or even motivation from teachings, mentors, friends (like I am used to at home). As such, this lack of external incentive thrusts that responsibility upon my lap. So whether it is choosing to allot time to read the material, work on papers, blog, plot out sustainability stuff for the spring, think about graduation and what the hell I am going to do with my life, or simply where we are going out for a drink...all of those decisions are mine to make.

I believed this from the beginning but after some experience here I know now that studying abroad for a semester is not about academic stimulation. The majority of the learning takes place outside of the classroom and the main subject is me. I have already discussed at length what I have learned about myself as a traveler and group leader. I have learned more about my eating habits, need to exercise regularly, and complacency that thrives when people don't challenge me. I think because I live here now, it is much easier to do nothing if I want, then I ever thought it could be.

As such, to better center myself and feel more productive, I am scheduling out daily slots for exercise (run and bike mostly) and want to begin yoga at a more regular rate consider this silly $25 mat I bought. Also, I need to have a scheduled time to be more productive for school. That has been a challenge considering the material we cover is so rich and presented in such an uninspiring way. I really believe that all situations can be greatly impacted by my personal outlook, goals and general disposition. Therefore, it is imperative in my time remaining that I embrace this opportunity as one where I construct and administer my own challenges and obstacles...because if I sit around waiting for someone else to do it, I will be here for a long time.

I am off to pick up a package from my mom, mail some letters, go grocery shopping and then head out for a run. It is a beautiful crisp, sunny day. It is just about 40F and the world seems to make a bit more sense.

No comments: