Monday, August 20, 2007

Første festen min!

My first party in Norway tonight was a bbq held at the university college campus. They are BYOM and B (meat and beer). Our entire group went and seemed to have a great time. I think the little bit of drinking everyone did wore everyone out so most people crapped out by 8 pm! But Hydranten (the hydrant) the campus student pub had its grand opening tonight that we missed...so we are going for Chelsea's birthday Wednesday night! She is the baby in the group. She will be 19. I feel like an old man. A few of the Namibian's are older, but I am the oldest American in our group.
Day 1 of orientation was today and I must say it was far less stressful than that of three years ago in the Lutedome. Which is saying a lot considering today's was all in Norwegian.

We begin our crash course lessons in Norwegian tomorrow. We have four days of three plus hours a day. Considering I am one of the few in the group with experience, it will be interesting to see what I learn and what is just review. I imagine the context will be even more practical day to day student language than I already know.
Good news, I am finally unpacked. As soon as I have figured out how I will post pictures. If I cant on this site I will simply direct you to facebook photo albums.

We filled out this culture sensitivity, global awareness survey for the Wang Center which I thought was a bit presumptuous and leading this morning. It was an attempt to gauge PLU student's pre-abroad cultural awareness and interest in global education and vocation. I can't imagine my answers will change any in these four months unless this experience will make me want to pursue a less internationally inclined vocational path.

There seems to be an initial rift between the Namibian and American students...no hard feelings but just sort of the comfort group thing. Are humans really that fickle? White people gravitate toward each other and black people gravitate toward each other? If anything our shared common bond of English language should be bringing us together. I want to work, but not force the group to work on working together better. I am hopeful that after an in-class, one group, dynamic is established tomorrow people on the whole will be more inclined to work together. I know it naive to expect everyone in a 15 person group will get along and be best buds. But I don't think that in just three days people can make accurate divisions between who will be friends and not...people must explore all there options soundly.

I am anxious for journaling tomorrow. Norsk leskon nummer en! My money is on the Namibians.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyle,

Regarding your Namibian "conflict" , I am confident that you will lead by example and be the change you want to see in others.

Regarding some of your word and/or language choices in your blog entries thus far, I would urge you to remember you are speaking to a broader audience here and you might want to attempt to avoid some of the more colorful, or abrupt, word choices that I am prone to in daily verbal conversations.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Kyle,

Wow, orientation all in Norwegian! How did the other students today feel about the orientation considering none of them have taken classes in Norwegian? I am sure as the students become adjusted and are more comfortable in their surroundings the initial rift will dissolve. Your excellent communication skills will no doubt help bring the group together. How much interaction have you had with people outside your group? I look forward to the changes you observe in the group dynamic. Enjoy your 3-hour crash course lesson tomorrow. Wow, you will be fluent by the time I arrive.

I love you,

Mom

Suzan said...

Kyle, The group dynamics sound kind of like the opposite of 'Survivor'. Good luck with that. You will strong leader I am sure. Take Care.
LOVE!! Suzan