Thursday, August 16, 2007

I am ready

After walking a friend home last night I took my time meandering through campus. It finally hit me, I am not going to walk through this place for some time. PLU has been an incredible home these past three years, largely due to its inhabitants. Nonetheless, I got this strange feeling of longing as a passed by red square and saw that awful glow of the neon-blue 'Aquafina' machine from the second-floor Ramstad stairwell. I am really going to miss this place. The comforts it affords especially. I have grown fond of my corner room at Base Camp. Where the sun shines brightly in at 6:3o AM and I still manage to sleep in until 10. I will miss Ingram Hall and the trash cans throughout the building that collect the rain water cascading through the ceiling. The late night FOLFing, the gorgeous September afternoons when it seems like everyone you know is out on the grass, lounging around without a care in the world. I will miss my incredible friends, loved-ones, my Lute family.

This however, is a time for growth. And as I feel the pangs from the myriad of 'good-byes' it makes me want to stay for my friends' sakes. Yet, I know deep in me this is what I need to be doing. Upon PLU's doing J-Term of my first year, I have not forgotten the Explore definition of vocation: 'where your hearts desire meets the world's greatest need.' Something inexplicable, in the depths of me keeps urging me in this direction. Yes, Norway. A cold, small country (pop.) with a political interest in peaceful conflict resolution. At my core I have to understand how a society like this one works. It is inconceivable for we Super-Power natives, a country whose prerogative is helping everyone 'get their way' and not relying on the archaic, 'plop a flag down and its yours' mentality. I want to believe that the model that Norwegians pursue is one more compatible to the hundred's of suffering countries in the world that have found the 'solve it with democracy and capitalism' model inefficient. I want to pursue helping other people live their lives, the way they cultural, language, and surrounding allow - not how Angelina Jolie says they should.

So I am off. Out to live in and explore Scandinavia. See the beautiful fjords og fjellets! Jeg skal finne mange vakert tinger. It is unreal still as I sit here with all my shit strewn about my floor, but by this time tomorrow I might start to get it. I still have many outstanding(see unfinished) PLU projects that I will be working on remotely. I will undoubtedly be using this forum as a chance to synthesize questions and some greater meaning about those tasks and future goals.

My thoughts are rampant and rambling and there is much packing yet to be done. I did however, want to put down in writing, in hope to perhaps better believe myself, that I am ready.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am certainly happy to read that you are ready, I however am not quite ready to have you leave. I feel like I have just adjusted to your PLU home and now I need to work at envisioning a completely different environment. I admire your enthusiasm and know your passion to explore new places and meet new people will be fueled by this tremendous opportunity.

Why wait for tomorrow when we can start changing the world today. I look forward to reading about your new adventure.

I love you,
Momma

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you, Kyle! Norway has many lessons to teach, we just need to listen... and I have no doubt you will!

Have the time of your life, and we will all miss you!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Norway Kyle. Hope you had a great trip. You remain often in my thoughts and prayers. Take care. Learn lots. Enjoy. LOVE! Suzan

Ingrid said...

Kyle:

I got shivers as I read through your emotions about departing. While I don't "know exactly how you feel," I do know my own experiences with saying goodbye. And those experiences open the door for a whole new world of opportunities, a world in which you will thrive. Your community will be here for you when you return, ready to absorb and learn from all of your adventures. Make the most of your time, with an open heart and mind. You are flying!

Love,
Ingrid