Sunday, August 19, 2007

Is 4 months all that long?

The question already came up tonight as the group discussed weekend travel and upcoming excursions. We had bids for Italy, Spain, Germany, Sweden, England, France. I suppose there are some of these girls who may travel every weekend. I would myself like to see more of Norway and get down to Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Accessiblity to 'all these cool European' countries is pretty unbelievable.

Our day today was simple. We slept in an joined the entire group for pizza at Mer enn Pizza (More than Pizza!). It was a great time. Following dinner the group of Americans went on a tour of the various living arrangements. First, we went by the flat that Kristin, Britt Inga, and Julie are living in. It is roughly 1/2km from the school and an attachment to this woman named Heidi's home that is completely mustard yellow. Following that we made the almost 1km walk over to our apartment complex which has been aptly named the 'communist housing.' Needless to say, the two monolithic structure that compose our student housing complex disrupt the otherwise quaint and colorful Norwegian neighborhoods. Lastly, we boarded the bus for 24 kroner a piece ($4USD) and road about 3.5km across town, across the bridge (and lake) to the blue house where Blair, Nacole and Taheela live. They have the downstairs of a house this cute, old Norwegian couple recently renovated. Following that the intowners walked back. Joe, Britt Inga and I got out in front and started talking high school sports. It was a good throw-back. It also provided me incentive to look into the swimming facility which I have heard it quite close to my lovely housing.

Tomorrow is our first day of orientation and maybe part of the Norwegian language crash course. I am still not unpacked. Although, Joe and I have decided to rearrange some of the furniture and situated the room so it has a bit more character and it subsequently more livable. I hope to have lots more to report tomorrow and hope this forum begins to take off as the big questions arise. Speaking of which, somebody through the politics card out to the group tonight...alright guilty as charged, but you know me I like to push a group. In time I'll get to more hot issues. As I suspected, many of the fellow Lutes come from staunch conservative backgrounds and at this point in their lives are gravitating towards a 180 turn of shared-parent political values. It will be interesting to see how the group does considering our Norwegian government class. Not only because of conservative backgrounds but because everyone in the program has some political science academic interest.

I have been thinking about all of you at home a lot. For many of you, I hope you are still enjoying summer. It is an interesting adjustment, it still has not set in that I am really living here. However, as orientation and courses start to begin, I have no doubt that the time will fly by. On the whole, two full days down...I am very glad I am here.

2 comments:

Ingrid said...

Kyle:

Creating livable housing is definitely important. Let me know some of your tricks, as I am trying to do the same. Was the pizza as good as it was a Peppe's Pizza? Do you feel like you are at home yet? Have you had more chances to use your Norwegian? We at home have been thinking a lot about you, too. And I, for one, am thrilled to hear that you feel like you made the right decision in going to Norway. Congrats and good work!

Love,
Ingrid

Anonymous said...

Kyle,

Your comments are wonderful! I love your descriptions and need to see a photo of your communist housing. We toasted you and Tanner yesterday as the only two adorable family members that were unable to attend the annual event at the Kessler's. As you can imagine our day included croquet, lots of laughter and tons of delicious food and wine. Today we maneuvered through I-5 traffic to attend the world premiere of Young Frankenstein. Of course your father picked out the author who wrote the "book" for the show and discussed with him the editing that will continue to occur before they take the show to Broadway. It was a fun show, no Wicked, but definitely worth seeing. Thank you for the wonderful updates. I am happy to hear you are settling in as I knew you would.

Love,
Mom